— Recommendations are independently chosen by Reviewed’s editors. Purchases you make through our links may earn us a commission.
Rachel Zoe is synonymous with style. So, when it comes to dressing for celebrations, she ranks high on everyone’s lists. Throughout the years, she’s become a household name. From her lifestyle brand, The Zoe Report to her fashion designs, Zoe’s made her mark in almost every element of the fashion world—and she’s still one of Hollywood’s most sought-after stylists.
So, what are we wearing? Subscribe to Reviewed’s weekly Style Check newsletter to get the answers from stylish people.
Noted for creating a “boho-meets-rock-chic” aesthetic, merged trends from the ’60s and the ’70s and defined a new breed of Hollywood ‘it-girls.’ Zoe’s roster has included A-listers such as Miley Cyrus, Jennifer Lawrence and Kate Hudson (to name a few). So, of course, when thinking about who would be an expert in all things style-related during the summer wedding season, there wasn’t a short list: Zoe was the only one on our list.
5 Rachel Zoe-approved ways to celebrate summer weddings
In an exclusive interview, Reviewed tapped Rachel Zoe to share all her best recommendations for celebrating the summer wedding season with picks from her collaboration line for Express and more. From metallic gowns to inclusive two-piece suit sets, the temperatures aren’t the only thing raising the stakes this warm-weather season. Here are five ways Rachel Zoe celebrates the summer wedding season.
1. Start with a summer-approved silhouette
Summer’s unpredictable weather makes it near-impossible to dress for a regular day, let alone a special occasion. Between rising temperatures or unexpected downpours, there’s a lot about the unknowns that make forecasting your outfit near-impossible. Rachel says the answer to is to lean into the weather and pick a piece that will be comfortable no matter what it brings.
“Dressing for a summer wedding [should be] fun,” she said, and that means It’s best to avoid tight, constricting silhouettes; once you start sweating, you’ll feel sticky and uncomfortable. Instead, try something like Rachel’s “go-to flowy one-shoulder maxi gown.“
Available in women’s sizes XS to XL, this dress features an ultra-stylish metallic ruffle design, heightened with a sophisticated one-shoulder sleeve. While the chiffon material offers a flattering, flowing fit that provides ventilation to wearers if (or when) the temperatures begin to rise.
Rachel advises accentuating the look with “chandelier or drop earrings and a statement bag.” These crystal bar and seed fringe earrings make the perfect statement. Add a pop of color with Cult Gaia’s lilac clutch for an unexpected but well-received touch.
- Shop Rachel Zoe Metallic Printed Ruffle One Shoulder Tiered Maxi Dress for $108 at Express
- Shop the Rouge Pur Couture Pigmented Lipstick in Rose Stiletto for $38 at YSL Beauty
- Shop the Chanel Les 4 Ombres Multi-Effect Quadra Eyeshadow for $62 at Bloomingdale’s
- Shop the Deepa Gurnani Deepa By Deepa Gurnani Jody Earrings for $60 at Shopbop
- Shop the Cult Gaia Harlow Acrylic Clutch for $328 at Bloomingdale’s
2. Pay attention to the venue
The venue is the centerpiece of every wedding, meaning your look should consider the location. While “you’ll never go wrong with a slip dress,” Rachel says, that isn’t your only option.
“For an indoor or more formal setting, a lightweight tailored suit like the Peak Lapel One Button Cropped Blazer and Super High Waisted Pleated Wide Leg” will do the trick, she said. The single-button blazer is available in sizes XXS to XXL, while the bottoms are ready to wear in sizes 00 to 16. Both pieces are crafted from a sustainable recycled polyester blend and will keep guests cool and comfortable from start to finish.
The other part of the equation, she said? “No matter the venue, always accessorize with lots of statement jewelry.” Play with shapes by stacking Uncommon James’s black onyx ring and crossover version together. Keep your jewelry minimal and modern with a gradient-shaped choker and top it off with Alexis Bittar’s gold brass earrings, featuring a hint of midnight blue.
Add a pop of color with the INC International Concepts Lilliana Ball Heel Sandals. The stacked spheres add striking height to their slender wrapping straps and of the three available colors. (We’re swooning over the light blue version!)
- Shop the Peak Lapel One Button Cropped Blazer for $83 at Express
- Shop the Super High Waisted Pleated Wide Leg for $53 at Express
- Shop the Solanales Crystal Wave Post Earring in Midnight for $128 at Alexis Bittar
- Shop the Black Onyx Oval Ring for $58 at Uncommon James
- Shop the Around the Town Ring for $58 at Uncommon James
- Shop the Dash Hinge Wrap Choker Necklace for $158 at SOKO
- Shop the INC International Concepts Lilliana Ball Heel Sandals for $63 at Macy’s
3. Step outside your comfort zone
Afraid of color? There’s no reason to be! “This is a time to be creative and steer away from the traditional little black dress,” Rachel said. Summer weddings are the perfect time to embrace color—whether you’re a first-timer or not. If you’re apprehensive, she recommends, start slow with “navy blue, or metallics.” A great example would be a sequin style like the Rachel Zoe Metallic High Neck Pleated Mini Dress.
Designed in women’s sizes XXS to XL, the metallic hue adds a retro, always-on-trend 70’s vibe to your look. Plus, the higher neckline and the trapeze-style silhouette are bound to be ultra-flattering on anyone wearing it.
“As for footwear, always keep the venue in mind. If you’re celebrating on grass or sand, you may want to choose a wedge, a chunky heel or even a strappy flat,” encourages Rachel. Try Jeffrey Campbell Candice Platform Sandal: The statement-making 5-inch platform adds just enough height to every frame, while the gleaming leather, slim ankle strap and center flower only add to its appeal. Available in two different colors, purple metallic combo and orange combo, we prefer the latter. Not only will it perfectly pair with Kristin Ess Velvet Bow Slide in mustard, but the two add a romantic element to this look that adds balance to the sequin dress’s edgier design.
Streamline your makeup routine by turning to Valentino Eye2Cheek Eyeshadow and Blush in Rosso Valentino. The TikTok-famous product works double-duty as a cream-to-powder blush and eyeshadow. Plus, the red color rose shade compliments all skin tones. Swipe on MAKEUP BY MARIO Ultra Suede Lipstick in its best-selling warm red Alicia shade and consider your look complete.
- Shop the Rachel Zoe Metallic High Neck Pleated Mini Dress for $77 at Express
- Shop the MAKEUP BY MARIO Ultra Suede Lipstick for $24 at Sephora
- Shop the Valentino Eye2Cheek Eyeshadow and Blush for $58 at Sephora
- Shop the Kristin Ess Velvet Bow Slide in Mustard for $14 at Target
- Shop the Jeffrey Campbell Candice Platform Sandal for $160 at Nordstrom
4. Shop your current wardrobe
“There’s no need to shop new for every upcoming event on the calendar. You’d be surprised how many pieces in your existing wardrobe can work for a summer wedding event,” said Rachel.
Start with your go-to maxi dress. A floor-length style like this Rachel Zoe Metallic Shoulder Tie Pleated Maxi Dress is a perfect example. The V-neck design shows some skin without revealing too much, while the sweet bow tie shoulder straps add a feminine element. Available in women’s sizes XXS to XL and designed in two metallic shades, what we love about? this dress is how easy it is to “completely change up its look,” says Rachel.
Dress it down with sandals and a linen blazer swung over your shoulders, then call it a day. Or, take Rachel’s route and “dress it up with statement accessories and elevated glam.” Add definition to your face with Charlotte Tilbury’s Pillow Talk Lip & Cheek Glow in Colour of Passion. The deep blushing berry-pink hue packs a punch of color for a youthful-looking glow.
Swipe on a coat or two of the Hermès Rouge Matte Lipstick in Rose Velours. The delicately darkened pink is timeless and its appeal only amplifies thanks to its velvety matte consistency, which elegance. Finish your makeup off with MAC’s M·A·CSTACK mascara. This Allure Best of Beauty award winner is clump-resistant, endlessly buildable and perfect for adding definition.
Step up your style by stepping into Larroudé Dolly Metallic Platform Sandals. The 4.5-inch heel provides comfort and support, while the adjustable buckle strap will keep your feet locked in safe and sound. Nevertheless, any nude heel or platform you currently own can work here, just as long as it’s high enough that you aren’t tripping over the length of your dress.
- Shop the Rachel Zoe Metallic Shoulder Tie Pleated Maxi Dress for $108 at Express
- Shop the Pillow Talk Lip & Cheek Glow in Colour of Passion for $40 at Charlotte Tilbury
- Shop the Hermès Rouge Matte Lipstick in Rose Velours for $69 at Nordstrom
- Shop the M·A·CSTACK mascara for $28 at MAC
- Shop the Larroudé Dolly Metallic Platform Sandals for $285 at Saks Fifth Avenue
- Shop the Women’s Diamond Padded Headband for $10 at Amazon
- Shop the Set of Two Wide Cuff Bracelets for $11 at Amazon
5. Have fun with the summer season
“Fall or winter weddings typically feel more serious and formal. For summer weddings: just have fun. Dress up a versatile two piece set like the Rachel Zoe Printed Off-The-Shoulder Cropped Top and Rachel Zoe Printed Maxi Skirt,” Rachel recommended Both pieces are available in women’s sizes XXS to XL and the butterfly print elevates this comfortable two-piece set and makes it appropriate for summer weddings.
Rachel encourages guests to “experiment with fun, bold prints” or colors. Embrace her advice by stepping into the Vimisaoi Women’s Flat Sandals. An excellent dupe for Loeffler Randall’s higher-price version, this shoe is available in shoe sizes 5 to 14.5. Choose from any of the 17 different prints, colors, and designs, but our support lies with tomato red.
Stylishly store your belongings in Amazon’s fan-favorite WuYangSto Acrylic Clutch. The fan-shaped bag showcases four fun shades that seamlessly hold everything from credit cards to make-up for touch-ups. With a near-perfect review, one happy shopper says this clutch is the “ultimate statement bag,” while another praises it for the “super fun design and high-quality materials.”
Rely on lipstick such as PAT McGRATH LABS MatteTrance Lipstick in Elson 2 to make an impactful statement. The vibrant, fiery orange-red offers pigment and adds a powerful punch of color, elevating this ensemble. Pull your hair back and add handmade polymer clay earrings from Madewell that support Black-owned businesses. The cobalt blue geometric shape is unexpected but will surely be well-received.
- Shop the Rachel Zoe Printed Off The Shoulder Cropped Top for $59 at Express
- Shop the Rachel Zoe Printed Maxi Skirt for $65 at Express
- Shop Vimisaoi Women’s Flat Sandals for $40 at Amazon
- Shop WuYangSto Acrylic Clutch for $40 at Amazon
- Shop the PAT McGRATH LABS MatteTrance Lipstick in Elson 2 for $39 at Sephora
- Shop the Abcrete & Co. Monochromatic Statement Earrings for $42 at Madewell
Prices were accurate at the time this article was published but may change over time.